The goal of the grant is to ...establish a network of scientists who are developing phenotype ontologies and to use this network to enable and enhance the research of all of those involved.
The specific aims are:
- Develop anatomical reference ontologies for three key taxonomic clades;
- Align and synchronize anatomical ontologies using homology and various types of similarity relations;
- Define, test and document anatomy ontology development best practices and standards;
- Reach out to ancillary phenotype groups to share with them common concepts and practices;
- Educate the community about the methods for developing ontologies and their importance and utility in research.